Friday, August 20, 2010

PLEASE make a list of equipment to hook up 3 home computers to DSL?

This is making me CrAzY! I'm sure it is so simple that I am making it hard. I already have DSL(3 yrs) through Centurytel w/Netopia modem they provided. Now I want to hook up 3 more computers(all XP) in my large home. My main computer w/DSL has no slot for ethernet so it is through the USB port. My dilemma is wireless or not. And what the heck is a HUB?? My home has a down stairs w/phone lines in all rooms(11). What is a complete list I will need to hook up all three to my DSL? 2 downstairs. I mean a list from the Ethernet adapter down to wiring, routers, modems, hookups, wall plug ins etc. Should it be wireless? My home is really big. I have asked Centurytel and they rattle off something that sounds like foreign language to me. I need this in plain dummy terms. The brand name and a list of all equipment I will need to purchase. 6 months I have been intimidated by this. I hope someone here will just lay it out plain and simple, I would appreciate this so much as well as my family.



PLEASE make a list of equipment to hook up 3 home computers to DSL?computers



When you say your main computer has no slot for Ethernet, do you mean there is no place to plug in an Ethernet card? If this is the case, not to worry. You can use a USB Ethernet adapter. If you do have an internal slot available, you can purchase an internal Ethernet adapter.



But, on with your question. What you need to get is a wireless DSL/network router like the D-Link WBR-1310. This unit will connect to your Netopia modem. So instead of your main computer connecting to the modem, the router will.

No comments:

Post a Comment